Author: Thomas Carl
Published: January 8, 2025
James Arthur Bitz, a 59-year-old man currently serving a 10-year sentence in Oregon, claims he is the victim of a grave miscarriage of justice. Convicted of kidnapping, assault, and burglary, Bitz has steadfastly maintained his innocence. Now, compelling evidence has surfaced that raises serious doubts about the validity of his conviction.
Bitz’s case is riddled with contradictions and procedural flaws. According to court documents and witness statements, DNA evidence excluded him as a suspect. Furthermore, the victim consistently stated to police, detectives, and in court that Bitz was not one of the two men who attacked him. Describing the assailants as tall, muscular, and Middle Eastern in complexion, the victim explicitly testified that Bitz—who is 5’5”, blonde, light-skinned, and covered in distinctive tattoos—did not match their description.
Adding to the controversy is the testimony of the state’s key witness, Amber Dement of Portland, Oregon—a woman who admitted to committing the robbery but implicated Bitz as an accomplice. This witness had previously made advances toward Bitz, which he rejected, potentially giving her a motive to fabricate her claims. Phone records presented during the trial showed no contact between the two on the night of the crime, contradicting her testimony. Demet failed three out of five lie detector tests yet received only two years of probation, raising questions about potential leniency in exchange for cooperation.
Bitz’s defense attorney was criticized for failing to allow Bitz to take a polygraph test, despite his repeated requests, and for not adequately challenging the state’s evidence. Affidavits from two individuals corroborated Bitz’s alibi, yet they were not given sufficient weight during the trial. Bitz tried to fire his public defender, but the judge denied his request.
Compounding these issues is the systemic inequity in the justice system. Bitz’s inability to afford a private attorney meant he had to rely on a public defender. Supporters argue that this played a pivotal role in his conviction.
“If James had been able to hire a private attorney, the outcome would have been so different,” said Michelle Jacquet, a close friend and advocate for Bitz. “But, due to not having money, he was stuck with a public defender who didn’t fight for him. It’s a shame that people are treated unfairly just because they’re poor.”
The victim himself, in a restitution hearing, refused to request payment from Bitz, stating, “He didn’t do it.”
“James Bitz’s case is a textbook example of how the system can fail,” Jacquet added. “When DNA evidence, victim statements, and alibi witnesses are all ignored, it’s not just James who suffers—it’s justice itself.”
Bitz’s supporters are now calling for action. They plan to file a formal request for sentence commutation with the Oregon Governor’s Office, emphasizing the following:
- New evidence of innocence, including victim interviews, phone records, and affidavits.
- Procedural errors and violations during the trial.
- The disproportionate sentence compared to the accuser.
“This is not just about one man’s life,” Jacquet said. “It’s about holding the system accountable and ensuring that wrongful convictions don’t continue to ruin lives.”
As Bitz approaches six years in prison for crimes he insists he did not commit, his advocates are determined to see his name cleared. With growing public support and undeniable evidence of his innocence, they remain hopeful that justice will finally prevail.
For questions or additional details about the case, Michelle Jacquet can be reached at (502) 537-0810.